Do you have an older iPhone or iPad that you’ve retired or that you want to donate, give away or sell? If so, you likely want to remove all of your stuff from it. Apple has made it easy to do this, simply follow the instructions below. Just to be clear, this process will restore your device to how it was configured when you initially took it out of its box. All of your data and apps will be removed. The iPhone or iPad’s operating system, called iOS, and the core apps that Apple installs will remain on the device. The version of iOS will not be reverted to an earlier version. Instead, the version of iOS that you have installed will remain intact. If you want to completely erase your device as described above then proceed with these instructions.
- Wake up or turn on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap on Settings
- Tap on General
- Scroll down to the bottom of the list and tap on Reset
- If your device is password-protected you’ll be prompted to enter it twice.
- You’ll then be notified that you’re about to delete all media and data, and reset all settings.
- Click the Erase iPhone (or iPad) button.
- If your device has Find My iPhone enabled then you’ll need to enter your AppleID password to disable this feature.
- You’re device will then restart and display a progress indicator as it erases and resets stuff. Wait a minute or two for this process to finish.